Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A Tale of Two Cities’ Subways


I caught subway envy in Washington D.C.

As a New Yorker, I had gotten used to the Metro’s shortfalls: frequent delays, unannounced service changes, dilapidated stations, foul smells, and mysterious stains on seats that are best left unquestioned. It’s dirty, inefficient and bustling. New Yorkers complain about the subway, but we tolerate it, since it’s our primary mode of transportation from point A to point B (except for those lucky few with a bottomless cab fund). Newcomers may experience culture shock getting jostled by beggars making their way through cars, or seeing their first foot-long rat run across some platform. But pretty soon we all get used to it. C’est la vie.

This complacent attitude is jolted when New Yorkers travel to other cities with public transportation. In Washington D.C., the subway reminded me of cleanliness I thought was only possible in foreign cities like Hong Kong, Tokyo, and Singapore. The modernist arched ceilings in all the stations screamed of a city that placed aesthetics on a pedestal. And electronic counters that showed the minutes until the next train trip? Priceless.

And thus began the 5 Stages of Subway Envy:
1. Denial – I don’t see any electronic counters.
2. Anger – We had a billion dollar surplus last year! Why don’t we have those for our trains?!
3. Bargaining – I wonder how much apartments are in D.C.
4. Depression – But moving is such a pain.
5. Acceptance – When the bus back from D.C. pulled into Port Authority at 1 a.m., I was exhausted, cold, and had $2 in my pockets. Home was 110 blocks away. I was glad for any train that ran at 1 a.m. on a Sunday night, smells and stains and all.



No comments:

Post a Comment